Re: [orca-list] Media Player Support?

Firstly the media player issue. Which player are you using? While I know this list for GUI users, I still would argue if you spend the time to read about it mplayer is best. mplayer is a command line player, but there may be some gnome GUI front end for it (I don't know, but mplayer is very popular so some one might have). I will give some basic instructions for mplayer usage as a command line app, but you really should read the docs for the full detail.

Simply to play a file with all defaults, just issue:
mplayer filename
at a command prompt (where filename is the file to play. In fact filename can be a URL, or one of the mplayer device names eg. dvd:// for dvd, or you can specify chapters in dvd's with something like dvd://2 for second chapter (see docs for exact detail)).

You can specify a particular output type and device with the -ao option. To use the ALSA sound drivers (I won't explain ALSA now, just to say that this is preferable and the current main driver set in the kernel) you would issue the command
mplayer -ao alsa filename
where filename is still the file you want to play. As another example you can dump the output to a file with
mplayer -ao pcm filename
May seem pointless if you are playing a file, but its a way to record an internet stream. The output drivers have options, but this is more advanced than I want to discuss now, and the docs do mention this (and the help options).

For video output, you have an output option which is -vo. This is very much like -ao but you need to specify a video driver to use, such as below
mplayer -vo vesa dvd://
should show the dvd on the screen (vesa should work in most cases, but it may upset other graphic components of Linux, so other drivers such as fbdev may be better to use, it depends on your system what is best to use).

There are interactive controls also for mplayer for things like pause, forwards, backwards, etc. There really is too much to document here, so read the docs for mplayer and if you ask a more specific question, eg. how to get real audio format support working in mplayer, I will try and answer it.

You may need to get mplayer, in a debian based system, a command such as
aptitude install mplayer
should get it (you may need to get the right permissions to run aptitude, use the sudo command, so the command would now be
sudo aptitude install mplayer
)

Now for the other part, doing an update. What Linux distro are you using? I probably would resort to the command line again (depending on the version of Orca and gnome you are using, system management can be a problem, the situation is improving, but as Orca is improving fast Distros don't always keep up and provide the best version of Orca), as command line stuff has been around longer the problems have been solved for some time (although I don't think the command line has such difficulties in the first place). If you are using a debian based system (eg. debian, ubuntu, grml (possibly, I don't know how grml comes), etc) then you can enter
aptitude update
and
aptitude upgrade
to update your software (you may need to prefix both commands with the sudo command, so they become
sudo aptitude update
and
sudo aptitude upgrade
if you get permission errors). For other distro types, you will probably need other commands, either let us know what you are using and some one hopefully can say, or refer to that distros docs.

From
Michael Whapples