Re: [orca-list] updating orca failed/confused now

Hi,

yes, commenting out the lines containing cdrom will stop ubuntu asking
for the cd, and instead try to connect to the internet and download the
updates.

now you do:
sudo apt-get update

this will get a list of available packages from ubuntu servers, then
when you do:

sudo apt-get upgrade

it will download and install a large list of packages.

-- it might want you to configure some packages, smbclient i think, just
go throw it in whatever way, you can always get back and reconfigure
those packages.

now you have the up-to-date version of ubuntu with all its bells and
wistles. (we still havent done anything about orca, that was simply
updating the system, the new version of orca lives on subversion so we
need to get that).

now we can do the real task, i.e. getting new version of orca, by
following the download-install instructions on the orca wiki.

by the way, even though the version of orca on the cd seem broken, it
still works in gnome-terminal, if there arent any sighted people about,
alternatively if you have a braille display connected, (and if by luck
it got detected at boot), if you switch to a virtual terminal (function
key and f1, -- f6) you should be able to work using the braille display.
to get back to graphical terminal, function key and f7

Hope this helps

-Jon