[orca-list] Why can't speech work on some systems from Ubuntu live CD?

Last week, I finally got sighted assistance to install Ubuntu Edgy Eft on my old Pentium 3 1 gig machine with 256 mb of ram. I used the f5 menu and hit 3 for screen reader and enter twice only to get no sound at all. I had my assistant play around and we found the sound test thing and that worked. I think he also put software mixing on as we tried everything to get the speech including putting orca in the alt-f2 run box. I'm sure Orca had to have loaded as I had him verify I chose screen reader. The strange thing is that after he installed it for me and we rebooted and logged in, speech came up like there was never a problem. I understand speech won't work during the install itself unless I quit orca, run it as root, and then run the installer, but it never worked at the desktop so I could accessibly even do that. That box has an SBLive Value sound card in it. What is wrong with that machine that won't let me have a sightless install? In the event of needing a reinstall, is there another way I can make it work?
Thanks.