Re: [orca-list] Why can't speech work on some systems from Ubuntu live CD?

Hello Brent,
I run Ubuntu Edgy on a similar machine. The live CD didn't work well on
my system too, but the installation does.
You should try out Feisty, which comes tomorrow in the final version.
The test live CDs work on my system.
If you need to reinstall Ubuntu Edgy, there are two ways:
1) You can download the alternate install CD, for details check the
Ubuntu servers. They are no live CDs, but if you have a braille display
connected via USB, you get braille support from the beginning of the
procedure.
2) If you have an image program, use it. A good Linux tool is Partimage.
To save your system with it, you should use a text only live CD, such as
grml, a solution that comes from Austria:
http://grml.org/
You must use a braille display to get full acces to that system. It uses
speech with Speakup, but I'm not experienced with that, and can't tell
you whether it works as good as braille does.
Hermann