Re: Orca Quiting orca

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
Actually we are looking for a more GUI-based way to quit Orca, for non-VI users and magnifier users. It relates to the menu integration post I made to the list last week.

Ideally we should have a button on the Orca GUI [Quit Orca] that essentially does Insert + q.

Okay, let's try this again. I'm more awake now.

If I remember rightly, you were suggesting having three Orca related
menu items under the Ubuntu Accessibility menu. Something like:

1/ Start Orca
2/ Start Orca Preferences
3/ Stop Orca

1/ is straight forward. 3/ can now be done by starting "orca --quit".
So that leaves #2. How about something like this:

There are already a couple nice tools included with the Orca distribution.

.../orca/src/tools/record_keystrokes.py will record any key strokes you
make and write them in a certain format to stdout.

.../orca/src/tools/play_keystrokes.py will play back any keystrokes from
a file on stdin (assuming they are written in that special format).

Using record_keystrokes.py, I "recorded" Insert-Space being typed, into
a file. It's called "show_preferences" and a copy is attached to this message.

I then started up Orca, and in a terminal window ran:

python play_keystrokes.py < show_preferences

This automatically bought up the Orca Preferences GUI dialog.

I bet you could easily hook all this up to launch via the #2 menu item above.

Key bindings like Insert-q are not very accessible to GUI-trained non-technical Ubuntu users :) Esp. when it's not well documented in the OS itself.

Couple of things here.

1/ Mike Pedersen has told me that the special keystrokes we are using in Orca should be familiar to users of other screen readers. I just went to look at what
JAWS uses:

 http://www.unt.edu/ACSGAL/jawskeys.html

and it seems to use INSERT+6 for its Configuration Manager. Hmm. Mike, can
you help out here?

2/ We are in the process of writing a simple Orca manual page; what you would
get in a terminal window if you type "man orca". It already has a reference
to the GNOME Accessibility Guide, but it looks like I should also include a
section giving all the special Orca commands. I'll add that in tomorrow.

# DATE=08:34:44 09/04/06 PDT
# SYSTEM=SunOS unknown 5.11 snv_34 i86pc i386 i86pc

KEYEVENT: type=0
          hw_code=106
          modifiers=0
          event_string=(Insert)