Re: Orca Access issues in Ubuntu Printers window

Hi Joanie:

It looks like the app has some accessibility issues.

One of the tools in our arsenal, at-poke, allows us to analyze the
widget hierarchy of an app from an AT-SPI point of view.  When I look at
the printer app via at-poke, the panel holding the icons is shown as
having no children.  Bad.  My first guess is that they are using a
custom component to display the icons for the various printers.

So...now to figure out where to file the bug.  You can press Insert+F3
when you are running Orca and get some spoken and braille debug
information about the application.  If you have your debug level set to
at least INFO, the debug information will also be sent to the debug file
or console.  Here's an example for the printers app you mention:

SCRIPT INFO: Script name='gnome-printer-view (module=orca.default)'
Application name='gnome-printer-view' Toolkit name='GAIL'
Version='1.8.11'

This at least tells you what the app is telling AT-SPI its name is
(gnome-printer-view).  This *usually* is a good indication of what the
name of the executable is, and it's *usually* also the name of the
component at http://bugzilla.gnome.org.  But, it's not a guarantee.  In
this particular case, I had to do some Google queries and pull some
components out of GNOME CVS to actually determine the associated
component is "gnome-cups-manager".

So...I think the thing to do is file a bug or two against
gnome-cups-manager: 1) you cannot use the keyboard to get to the icons,
and 2) you cannot programmatically get to the icons via the AT-SPI.
Typically, we also become gnome-cups-manager developers for a day and
submit a patch - it helps guarantee the bug actually gets fixed.

My free time today is running short, so I'll look at this tomorrow if
you don't beat me to it.

Will

PS - at-poke is unfortunately inaccessible.  We have an experimental
"hierarchical presenter" in Orca that is intended to provide access via
hierarchical navigation versus focus tracking, but we've disabled it and
it may need some work to get going again.