Re: Orca Change tty

Hi:

    WW> Hi Jan: Currently, there's really not a good platform
    WW> independent way to determine which tty the X Server is on, so we
    WW> hard code the default to 7 in Orca. Samuel gave me a couple ways
    WW> to try to get the tty, such as a the presence and value of
    WW> property on the root window, and I'll be taking a look at that.

Just for an update: I checked in some code to do this yesterday.  It'll
be in Orca v2.17.4.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 859, in loadUserSettings
    braille.init(_processBrailleEvent, settings.tty)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/braille.py", line 951, in init
    if brl.init(tty):
StandardError: Failed to find brlapi_initializeConnection in BrlTTY

Odd.  This means it cannot find the BrlAPI Python bindings that are in
the latest BrlTTY, so it is falling back to the Python bindings we built
in to Orca.  Then, it cannot find a particular symbol that it expects.

I'm going to guess this:  the latest BrlTTY/BrlAPI was built/installed
on the machine, overwriting the older stuff.  As part of this, however,
the "--enable-python-bindings" option was not passed to
autogen.sh/configure.  If this were the case, I believe BrlAPI's new
Python bindings would not have been built/installed.  The result is that
you have new libraries, but not new Python bindings.

If this is the case, the solution is to rebuild BrlTTY/BrlAPI, passing
"--enable-python-bindings" to autogen.

Will

Could not initialize connection to braille.
Magnification module has NOT been initialized.
SPEECH OUTPUT: 'VÃtà vÃs Orca.'
BRAILLE LINE:  'VÃtà vÃs Orca.'
     VISIBLE:  'VÃtà vÃs Orca.', cursor=0
SPEECH OUTPUT: 'Switching to focus tracking mode.'
atspi.start: using bonobo.main; gilSleepTime=0.000010
BRAILLE LINE:  'emacs-snapshot ferda buchal xx  nepÅÃstupnÃ'
     VISIBLE:  'emacs-snapshot ferda buchal xx  ', cursor=0
SPEECH OUTPUT: 'emacs-snapshot ferda buchal xx  nepÅÃstupnÃ'

But Emacs under X with brlapi works.
Best.