Re: Building ORBit2 on Windows

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> (On the other hand,
> some people, if I recall correctly, do build ORBit2, and presumably
> code generated by its IDL compiler, with Microsoft's tools, which
> hardly do the same kind of tricks. Odd...)

Indeed: Gentoo Prefix[1] uses parity[2] as a wrapper around Microsoft tools,
which allows to always declare variables as "dllimport" (except when building
the library itself), even if that library subsequently is linked statically.
Here are the patches[3] and how they are applied[4].

AFAICT, to get this working, it is necessary to do the link step as C++,
where having global variables in shared libraries is possible.

[1] http://prefix.gentoo.org/
[2] http://parity.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/gnome-base/orbit/files/
[4] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/gnome-base/orbit/orbit-2.14.17.ebuild

Must admit that I'm not sure if that windows build has been tested recently...

HTH,
/haubi/