Re: Building ORBit2 on Windows

> Indeed: Gentoo Prefix[1] uses parity[2] as a wrapper around Microsoft tools,

Hmm, I was thinking about somebody using Microsoft tools directly, no
Linux tools/distros/philisophy involved. Somebody did file a couple of
bugs against libIDL and/or ORBit2 for building with MSVC.

> AFAICT, to get this working, it is necessary to do the link step as C++,
> where having global variables in shared libraries is possible.

Hmm, it is possible in C, too, and works fine with MinGW even without
any dllimport/dllexport decorations as long as it is just "simple"
variables used in a "simple" way. (I.e. no initailisation of static
variables with too complex expressions involving the addresses of
imported variables, etc).

But yeah, I guess with C++ one can easier use more complex
initialisations that run actual code.

The "runtime pseudo relocations" that the
--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc switch refers to presumably are
effectively something similar?

--tml