Re: Making ORBit work with MS VS compilers

Hi Tor,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
>  Hmm, so you are planning on still using libtool even if you compile
>  with MSVC? I thought your plan was to build it completely from the
>  IDE, i.e. create project and solution files etc.

Sorry if I wasn't that clear. I'm interested in building it with the
MS VC toolchain, not necessarily with Visual Studio. :-) I don't even
have VS (unless, of course, I get my employer to allow me to work on
it, then I'd have access to VS - but even then, we don't use VS to
build anything at work, we actually use cygwin, but with MS's
compilers).

> Or at least to use
>  nmake and its makefiles. Is it then only because you want to be able
>  to use the Visual Studio debugger that you want to compile ORBit2 for
>  Windows with the MS compiler? You do know that one can already build
>  it using mingw, right?

I know it's possible to build it with mingw. But I started looking at
this because we're looking for something like ORBit for a project at
work. We don't want C++, and so far we've been playing with ILU (which
I really don't like very much, even though it works, for some value of
works). And at work, on Windows, we only use MS compilers, and I don't
see that changing anytime soon.

I actually have very little experience with VS (even less than with
autotools), so at this point it's much easier for me to just put
together a few custom makefiles to make sure I can compile things and
they work.

>  Using libtool, and relying on some Unixish build environment like MSYS
>  or Interix, is bound to mean that at least some potential developers
>  won't be interested in taking part.

Yeah, I understand that. It's just that I'm not really a Windows
developer, and my interest in doing this is not related to integration
with VS, just in using MS's compiler toolchain.

--
Marcelo Vanzin
mmvgroups gmail com