RE: Making ORBit work with MS VS compilers

Michael Haubenwallner <mailto:michael haubenwallner salomon at> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 21:08 -0700, Marcelo Vanzin wrote:
> <snip>
>> Since you've been using ORBit on Windows, did you have to make any
>> modifications to libIDL? I moved into playing with the IDL compiler
>> and ran into issues because of libIDL. Pretty trivial changes, but
>> the code out of SVN did not work.
>
> (Markus, correct me if I'm wrong)

Ok :)

 <snip>

> But this does not mean you can use parity only as "cross"-compiler
> from interix to winnt - parity should be able to build itself as winnt
> executable, so you could use parity from within VisualStudio. Although
> you don't have the path-conversion feature then - which you should not
> need in this case.

I don't know if it's that easy to tell visual studio to use parity
(haven't tried). But: the path conversion is still available, also when
parity is a native windows build. It does this by trying to load the
interix dll for path conversion dynamically. Note that parity also tries
to load cygwin1.dll to convert paths, if interix fails...

Also there are of course Visual Studio Project files for building parity
as native windows executable. (which also gives the possibility to build
the "Managed *" Configurations, which include the graphical
configuration editor :)

Cheers, Markus