Re: Recursive types in IDL

Hi Sergiu,

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Sergiu Gavrila wrote:

>   Hi all,
> I'm trying to use the ORBit broker to get access to a CORBA app server
> (Visibroker), and I discover that the orbit-idl (ORBit-0.5.15) does not
> supports recursive types (struct, unions). So, an IDL like the one below
> will not compile (the orbit-idl wastes all my memory and then crashes).
> Is there a patch for ORBit-0.5.15? Looking in the archives it looks like
> somebody has done a patch, but how can I get it?

	Yeah, this is a known issue with ORBit0. I remember I did
submit some patch to do with this many moons ago but I may just have
been to recognise the recursion and bomb out. I don't remember
implementing it ... ORBit2 does support recursive types, though.

> BTW, the option to switch to ORBit2 (which I would like) is not good, as
> ORBit2 seams to have some interoperability problems with Visibroker (I
> will post a separate message with the problems).

	Please, please do tell what the interoperability issues are.
In most cases I don't expect it to be a big issue and it would be
resolved correctly given good enough debugging info on the problem.

Cheers,
Mark.