Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems...

> From: Dan Kegel <dank@ixiacom.com>
> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:58:16 -0800
>
> > Now, now, it's OK to use AC_TRY_RUN if there's a reasonable fallback
> > when not cross-compiling.  (Please don't stick pins into my doll's
> > head!  :-)
>
> So YOU'RE the one! :-)  I dare you to show me a reasonable use of
> AC_TRY_RUN that is correct both for self-hosted and for cross
> development.
> (Defaults that work for 'most' targets don't qualify.)

One example is where you are testing whether a function works
correctly in the C library, and if it doesn't work you have a
substitute that you're willing to compile and use yourself.  In the
cross compilation environment you'll always use the substitute, but
that is OK.  The code may not be quite as fast, but it'll still work
correctly.

Please see GNU diffutils 2.8 m4/*.m4 for some examples of this.