Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems...

Paul Eggert wrote:
> > dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> > > I did have the thought that it would be very usefull to have the
> > > configure tools recognize that you are doing a cross compile say
> > > to PPC and have it set up default "sizes" etc based on known PPC
> > > settings.
>
> The latest Autoconf can calculate the sizes of C objects even when
> cross-compiling.  It does so without using AC_TRY_RUN.  So this much
> at least should work without any special help.

Indeed.  This is a real improvement.

> > Many's the time I've tried to install a package, run into
> > flagrant use of AC_TRY_RUN, and gotten out my voodoo doll
> > to poke pins into the head of whoever wrote the configure.in
> > that used AC_TRY_RUN.
>
> Now, now, it's OK to use AC_TRY_RUN if there's a reasonable fallback
> when not cross-compiling.  (Please don't stick pins into my doll's
> head!  :-)

So YOU'RE the one! :-)  I dare you to show me a reasonable use of
AC_TRY_RUN that is correct both for self-hosted and for cross
development.
(Defaults that work for 'most' targets don't qualify.)

> > 4. Some people with favorable envirnments have modified AC_TRY_RUN
> > to actually run code on the target;
>
> I seem to recall somewhat submitting a patch recently along those lines.

Has it been accepted yet?  That would be great.

- Dan