Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems...

> From: Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>
> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 08:56:10 -0800
>
> dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> > I did have the thought that it would be very usefull to have the
> > configure tools recognize that you are doing a cross compile say
> > to PPC and have it set up default "sizes" etc based on known PPC
> > settings.

The latest Autoconf can calculate the sizes of C objects even when
cross-compiling.  It does so without using AC_TRY_RUN.  So this much
at least should work without any special help.

> Many's the time I've tried to install a package, run into
> flagrant use of AC_TRY_RUN, and gotten out my voodoo doll
> to poke pins into the head of whoever wrote the configure.in
> that used AC_TRY_RUN.

Now, now, it's OK to use AC_TRY_RUN if there's a reasonable fallback
when not cross-compiling.  (Please don't stick pins into my doll's
head!  :-)

> 4. Some people with favorable envirnments have modified AC_TRY_RUN
> to actually run code on the target;

I seem to recall somewhat submitting a patch recently along those lines.