Re: People widgets plans

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Will LaShell <will lashell net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 15:12 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> == UI improvements ==
>>
>>  * Use smaller icons, likely the same size of applications icons.
>> Display status in a non textual way. Do not display protocol inline,
>> move it to the details dialog.
> Using smaller buddy icons is cool, I think the buddy icon should be
> scaled to be the height of the rest of the entry though.
>
> I personally vote against not showing the protocol. If you have more
> than one nick with the same name, the protocol is the only
> distinguishing factor.

There is also the icon. Also wee could show the protocol on the same
line of the name in the cases where there is a duplicate.

>> == Open questions ==
>>
>>  * Should we keep support for pidgin?
>
> yes. In my opinion empathy needs a few more features to compete with
> pidgin.  Not to mention pidgin's install base is much higher.

We are automatically launching the IM client on startup, so the
question here would be how to figure out which one to launch. Perhaps
we should extend the preferred application preferences?

Marco