Re: Starting to contribute.

> > If not then perhaps your
> > plans for online desktop need to remove the Tomboy case study (Sprints
> > page of live.gnome.org) as it gives the wrong impression about the
> > scope of online desktop...
>
> I think it's still in scope.

Well helping with encryption and backup is perhaps a little beyond
what I am able to contribute, so i'll just lie in wait :-)

> > Or to put it another way - we already speak to most of the interesting
> > parts of the desktop and to lots of cool webservices. We thought
> > online desktop was a natural extension of that kind of work but have
> > clearly missed its scope by quite a wide margin... So right now i'm
> > not sure exactly what I could sync to online desktop, and why thats
> > any better than syncing to any other webservice.
>
> Right, conduit's "rsync" approach doesn't conflict with
> online.gnome.org.  We're trying to bake storage of certain data like
> preferences into the OS by default to a primary server, whereas Conduit
> lets you do a lot more but you have to put more pieces together.

Right. They are different things. But i'm not sure I agree with
calling it an "rsync" approach. Could you clarify? To me, rsync
implies you press go and a snapshot is made. Its true, we do support
that type of situation. But wherever possible conduit will use always
up to date mode. As you work on a tomboy note, it will be replicated
to whatever - be it online desktop or google notebook or your iPod.

Thats why i'm keen on having online desktop endpoints in conduit. Its
a webservice that can push data back, and thats exciting!

Hopefully we will be able to utilize web-login-driver, extend our HAL
support and build on our existing integration with GNOME apps to make
it sufficiently context aware that ordinary users won't be bewildered
by all the options - is that what you meant with "but you have to put
more pieces together"?

John