Re: Starting to contribute.

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:17 -0600, Govind Salinas wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for taking a bit to respond!

> My original plan was to store the todo items on the mugshot server.
> After poking around for a bit I found that I would probably have to
> make some server updates (adding classes to support the new
> resources).

Right.  We've talked a bit about making things more dynamic.

> I also appears that the intention is to use other services for this
> sort of thing.

Yes; we are hoping online.gnome.org will help spur the creation of more
free/open services, however the server itself may not host them.

The way I think of online.gnome.org is sort of like a "GConf in the
cloud".  Stuff that is basically public noncritical information is in
scope.  Preferred applications, account *usernames* on various sites,
etc.  Music playback history is an opt-in component to make public, but
it's not critical information.

What I'm not sure we can handle right now is information that is
potentially private and/or critical.  Notes are often going to be both
of those.

Concretely, what I would do with that kind of thing right now is to
investigate third party services.  rememberthemilk.com is one I've seen
before on Planet GNOME, and in fact it looks like they have some GNOME
integration:
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2007/12/remember-milk-for-deskbar-applet.html

You might also take a look at the "rsync-like" approach to note sync
that Tomboy people were working on, which isn't the same as the web
storage approach (e.g. you can't go to some random internet cafe with
Windows and read your notes).