Re: [gnome-love] Need help on running the application

Adam's method worked. but thanks anyway for the instructions

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Krzysztof Walo <kwalo kwalo net> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 22:14 +0530, Chamila Adhikarinayake wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> I'm new to building applications by compiling the source in linux.up
> to now i managed to compile the code without any problem.
> (I'm using Gnote).I did ./autogen.sh, make , make install. every thing
> went fine.
> this may be dumb question. i want to know how to run the application
> after that.I found gnote in /usr/local/bin. is this the one i should
> run?.  (I tried to run it by using ./gnote but i got "./gnote: error
> while loading shared libraries: libgnote-3.9.so.1: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory" error message)
> I really want to do some coding but i don't know how to test it
> without running the app (or is there a different way to test the
> code).
>  If i'm doing things wrong, can some one give the all the  steps or
> give some links for some tutorials.
>
> thanks again for taking some time to help me
>
> Chamila

Hi,

If you haven't passed any options to ./autogen.sh, or ./configure, gnote
will install by default under /usr/local prefix, so binary will be
in /usr/local/bin and libraries in /usr/local/lib.

If you just want hack on gnote, make install step is not necessary. You
can just compile the program, using make and run it as you did, from
build directory, using ./gnote.

You got the error about missing libgnote library, because program loader
does not know where to look for this library. You need to tell him, by
modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

So if you do ./autogen.sh and then make, if everything builds
succesfully, you should run compiled gnote using:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/directory/where/libgnote/is ./gnote

Krzysztof