Re: [gnome-love] Need help on running the application

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Chamila Adhikarinayake <cka adhi gmail com> wrote:
Hi Again, I'm new to building applications by compiling the source in linux.up to now i managed to compile the code without any problem. (I'm using Gnote).I did ./autogen.sh, make , make install. every thing went fine.

Good to hear.

this may be dumb question.

No question is dumb - ask away!

i want to know how to run the application after that.I found gnote in /usr/local/bin. is this the one i should run?.

Probably yes, though you have two choices.  You could run /usr/local/bin/gnote, which is the installed binary and which should definitely work.  You'll also find a file src/gnote in the build directory which is actually a shell script that begins with this:

#! /bin/bash
# gnote - temporary wrapper script for .libs/gnote
# Generated by libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2 Debian-2.4.2-1.2ubuntu1

If you have already installed gnote once, then you can probably run this shell script rather than /usr/local/bin/gnote.  You might want to do this so that you don't have to run 'make install' after every build cycle - you can just run src/gnote instead, as long as there are new data files which need to be installed.

(I tried to run it by using ./gnote but i got "./gnote: error while loading shared libraries: libgnote-3.9.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" error message)

Which directory were you in when you ran ./gnote?  I'd be surprised if you saw a binary file 'gnote' in the top-level build directory, since (on my machine at least) building gnote generates a file 'gnote' only in the src subdirectory.

I really want to do some coding but i don't know how to test it without running the app (or is there a different way to test the code). If i'm doing things wrong, can some one give the all the steps or give some links for some tutorials.

I hope this is enough, but if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask again.  Cheers -

adam