Re: [gnome-love] Need help on running the application

On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 22:14 +0530, Chamila Adhikarinayake wrote:
Hi Again,

I'm new to building applications by compiling the source in linux.up
to now i managed to compile the code without any problem.
(I'm using Gnote).I did ./autogen.sh, make , make install. every thing
went fine.
this may be dumb question. i want to know how to run the application
after that.I found gnote in /usr/local/bin. is this the one i should
run?.  (I tried to run it by using ./gnote but i got "./gnote: error
while loading shared libraries: libgnote-3.9.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory" error message)
I really want to do some coding but i don't know how to test it
without running the app (or is there a different way to test the
code).
 If i'm doing things wrong, can some one give the all the  steps or
give some links for some tutorials.

thanks again for taking some time to help me

Chamila

Hi,

If you haven't passed any options to ./autogen.sh, or ./configure, gnote
will install by default under /usr/local prefix, so binary will be
in /usr/local/bin and libraries in /usr/local/lib.

If you just want hack on gnote, make install step is not necessary. You
can just compile the program, using make and run it as you did, from
build directory, using ./gnote.

You got the error about missing libgnote library, because program loader
does not know where to look for this library. You need to tell him, by
modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

So if you do ./autogen.sh and then make, if everything builds
succesfully, you should run compiled gnote using:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/directory/where/libgnote/is ./gnote

Krzysztof