Re: [gnome-love] Giving up on compiling GNOME :( [Was: Compiling 2.15.4]

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 13:09:24 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
[..]
Yes, that's using jhbuild and compiling from cvs.  And, well, the
builds haven't successfully built to completion on any of them for
quite some time (checkout out all the red at http://jhbuild.bxlug.be/;
the only green is for someone who only built a single module a few
times).  But the idea is that hopefully if we can make cvs building
less painful, then tarballs automatically become a bit less painful to
build from as well.

Yeah, that page is a bit depressing. It's good something's being done
about it though :-)

The jhautobuild stuff being done by Frederic is one area where we're
starting to tackle automated builds.  Fluendo (or at least Thomas) will
be using the machines purchased for streaming GUADEC to set up buildbot
to get further automated building done.  joseph, from GARNOME, is also
pursuing getting some time on some grid machines donated by various
companies (sun?) for automated building as well.  I've got some ideas I
want to try out if I can get a machine for it (though not until after
my dissertation defense).  Federico recently emailed d-d-l about how
much of a joke the current building situation is, starting a discussion
there.  I've done something similar a couple times this release, even
airing a few maintainers out to dry (where I could have used a bit more
tact).  But, anyway, there are various efforts out there trying to
correct the sitution.  As always, something this global of a scale will
take some time to fix, but it looks like things are moving in the right
direction.

Well, airing them out isn't always a bad idea :-)

Do you have a link to Frederico's email? (I also don't really know what
d-d-l means...)

Is there a "GNOME way" of building? (writing autogen.sh, configure.ac,
dealing with aclocal and extre m4 scripts, etc.)
I've tried finding documentation about it (comparable to Debian's
packaging guides) but I've always ended up looking at packages already
in GNOME. I've never found anything, instead I've ended up looking at
some part of GNOME and tried to adapt that to what I need. That way I
never quite know if I'm doing stupid things or not.

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results.
     -- Albert Einstein