Re: [gnome-love] Giving up on compiling GNOME :( [Was: Compiling 2.15.4]

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:44:04 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
On 8/8/06, Magnus Therning <magnus therning org> wrote:
As you've seen I've struggle dover the last few weeks with compiling
GNOME, first 2.15.4 then 2.15.90.  It's been painful, though still a bit
of fun.  In the end it turned out to be too much work.

All I really wanted was to grab epiphany from CVS and compile it.  It
seemed like a good idea to take the road less travelled and compile all
of GNOME 2.15 to make sure I got all the dependencies.  It turns out the
road less travelled is so for a reason.

I still managed to compile epiphany, but I based it on Debian's own
packages as far as I could---I only used jhbuild to compile glib and
gtk+.  That was all I needed in the end.

I understand; you have gone through a lot.  But, remember to keep in
mind that you've made the path a little smoother for others to follow.
So your effort is definitely not in vain.

Yeah, I don't regret doing it at all, though it got a bit frustrating
after a while :-)

I posted some notes on my build attempts:

 http://therning.org/magnus/archives/168
 http://therning.org/magnus/archives/159

If you feel like trying again at some point in the future, I'll point
out two things: (a) if you want to compile from tarballs, GARNOME is
much better tested and more widely supported than the jhbuild tarball
modulesets, (b) the Build Brigade will eventually get going and beat
these build problems into a thing of the past, or so I expect.  :-)

I did try GARNOME on 2.15.4 and it failed in the same way as jhbuild so
I never made an effort for 2.15.90. I heard 2.15.91 is around the corner
though so maybe it'd be worth taking a look at GARNOME again then :-)

I read some post on GNOME planet about doing daily builds of GNOME on
different platforms (I vaguely remember a webpage where the results were
posted as well). That is using jhbuild, isn't it?

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
     -- Albert Einstein