Re: [gnome-love] Re: interested in implementing a (the) newsreader for Gnome?

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 21:50 -0300, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
If the developers of Pan are not willing to help, it would make sense
proceed with a fork of the codebase, and then clean up *all* the stuff
that needs to be cleaned.

However, this approach should be used only if there's no other way to
do the thing you want, because this would fragment efforts. It is
allways good when we can work together.

I'm not familiar with Pan's code, but I think there is an compromise
between a new project, and a fork.  Use Pan as a back-end, build a new
front-end.  I wouldn't be surprised if Pan had its interface in the code
instead of libglade, so this is not an easy task.

In the case of Epiphany, it depends on Mozilla--Epiphany is an alternate
view.  It provides its own features to replace those in Mozilla that do
not fit Epiphany's vision.  There has been talk for years about
restructuring Gaim into an architecture that would let other tools act
as the front-end, and we may see some integration with Evolution and
other tool in the next 12 months.

You may not even need to start a new project.  You might convince the
Pan team that a simplified view is a valuable addition to the 'tweaker'
interface used now.  The simple view will have a different UI, it will
hide many of the tweaker features, it will select defaults behaviors
that meet the needs of this other kind of user you have in mind.  This
really helps to focus our effort on making a working set of code work
for the largest number of users.

If your interface proves more popular, then some of its features may be
incorporated into the tweaker interface.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.