Re: [gnome-love] is the GnomeCanvas for drawing on?

1. I'm using a GnomeCanvas for the mouse scibble area right now but I
   keep wondering if I should be using a Gtk "drawing_area".
   I'm not using any advanced features of the canvas, I'm treating
   it like a drawing area really.
   Could someone tell me which is right?

Well, it really depends on how complex you want your paint application
to be.  If it is a very very simple one, you might just stick with the
canvas, and ignore issues like redrawing completely.

But if you are planning on making this a more general application, you
most likely want to use a GtkDrawingArea and paint the exposed regions
on demand and update your internal data structures accordingly.

2. Are pixmaps gone in GNOME/Gtk 2.0?
   Some of the Gtk 1.2 docs say many of the pixmap functions are deprecated.
   But If pixmaps are gone should I be using just pixbufs and making
   my draw functions draw on my pixbufs?

You can use pixbufs as your backing store for information (you store all
the data there).

I have not worked with GNOME 2 yet, so I cant answer the rest of your
question.

Miguel.