[gnome-love] is the GnomeCanvas for drawing on?

hi all,
  As I mentioned in a previous mail I'm writing a paint app.
It's my first GNOME app so I've come across some problems.
Here are 2 of my problems:

1. I'm using a GnomeCanvas for the mouse scibble area right now but I
  keep wondering if I should be using a Gtk "drawing_area".
  I'm not using any advanced features of the canvas, I'm treating
  it like a drawing area really.
  Could someone tell me which is right?

  I've read tonnes of docs but they only tell me how to use the widgets.

and...

2. Are pixmaps gone in GNOME/Gtk 2.0?
  Some of the Gtk 1.2 docs say many of the pixmap functions are deprecated.
  But If pixmaps are gone should I be using just pixbufs and making
  my draw functions draw on my pixbufs?

thanks,
Ciaran O'Riordan.