Re: [gnome-love] is the GnomeCanvas for drawing on?

Well, it really depends on how complex you want your paint application
to be.  If it is a very very simple one, you might just stick with the
canvas, and ignore issues like redrawing completely.

But if you are planning on making this a more general application, you
most likely want to use a GtkDrawingArea and paint the exposed regions
on demand and update your internal data structures accordingly.

hmmm. I'm hoping to make a paint app to equal MS Paint in functionality.
I thought the GnomeCanvas was a next generation drawing_area so I used it.
Redrawing the Canvas when it gets re-exposed is my current stumbling block.
I've been reading the gpaint-0.2 code which uses a 'drawing_area' but as
the gpaint project is old I assumed that the Canvas wasn't available back
then. So I used a Canvas thinking I was doing the up-to-date thing.

I'm not sure if that tells you enough, I can mail you the source if it helps
but I don't plan on making a release for 3-4 weeks.

Which would you advise I use?