Re: Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 8:56 AM Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, 2022-10-26 at 23:16 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 9:29 PM Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think that "we" (the NetworkManager community) will try to get a
> > mailman mailing list on freedesktop.org. There is already
> > modemmanager-devel lists freedesktop org, so this seems a good fit.
> > Our
> > git is also on gitlab.freedesktop.org.
> >

> That's unfortunate to hear, would you mind elaborating more on what
> made you decide not to migrate to Discourse?

Just personal preference (of myself and others).

While I wish that mailman would have some improvements, overall it's
suitable for our needs. It served us well. I probably just don't know
what I am missing out, but I still don't see it.

NetworkManager historically is both a GNOME and a freedesktop project
(we use gitlab.freedesktop.org, while applet and VPN plugins are on
gitlab.gnome.org). Having a freedesktop mailing list would fit the
project too. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't know where else to
migrate and would stronger consider discourse.

On a side note, it's not a big problem... But I don't understand the
urgency of sending an announcment and shutting the list down
(basically) immediately afterwards. A longer grace period would have
been better. I was ignorant of these plans. That ignorance is my fault,
but a simple email to the list would have helped.

The migration to Discourse has been in the discussion for years [1], further actions were also communicated in August/September [2] and [3]. Either way thanks for your feedback, we'll try to improve the process next time anything like this happens.

> > It's also unclear whether we should try to automatically subscribe
> > the
> > current list subscribers to the new place. I think we should do
> > that.
> >
> > Opinions?
> >

> We can provide you the subscribers list if the decision you want to
> pursue is subscribing existing list members on the new hosting
> platform.

that would be great. Thank you. I probably will come back to you about
this.

As GNOME plans to leave the archive up as read-only, that's sufficient.
But I am worried that on a few years that will be shut down and the
history lost. If that ever happens, we should try to archive the
history somewhere. Would it be possible to get a dump of the entire
archive?

List archives are mainly composed of HTML files, I don't foresee any particular reason on why the history of 20+ years of mails stored in a mail archive would be shut down in the future, please don't worry about that.

[1] https://discourse.gnome.org/t/common-questions-re-mailman-to-discourse/11841/9
[2] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2022-August/msg00004.html
[3] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2022-September/msg00018.html

--
Cheers,
Andrea

Principal Systems Engineer at Red Hat,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
Former GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: https://www.dragonsreach.it