Re: Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

On Wed, 2022-10-26 at 23:16 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 9:29 PM Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com>
wrote:
Hi,

I think that "we" (the NetworkManager community) will try to get a
mailman mailing list on freedesktop.org. There is already
modemmanager-devel lists freedesktop org, so this seems a good fit.
Our
git is also on gitlab.freedesktop.org.

That's unfortunate to hear, would you mind elaborating more on what
made you decide not to migrate to Discourse?

Just personal preference (of myself and others).

While I wish that mailman would have some improvements, overall it's
suitable for our needs. It served us well. I probably just don't know
what I am missing out, but I still don't see it.

NetworkManager historically is both a GNOME and a freedesktop project
(we use gitlab.freedesktop.org, while applet and VPN plugins are on
gitlab.gnome.org). Having a freedesktop mailing list would fit the
project too. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't know where else to
migrate and would stronger consider discourse.

On a side note, it's not a big problem... But I don't understand the
urgency of sending an announcment and shutting the list down
(basically) immediately afterwards. A longer grace period would have
been better. I was ignorant of these plans. That ignorance is my fault,
but a simple email to the list would have helped.

It's also unclear whether we should try to automatically subscribe
the
current list subscribers to the new place. I think we should do
that.

Opinions?

We can provide you the subscribers list if the decision you want to
pursue is subscribing existing list members on the new hosting
platform.

that would be great. Thank you. I probably will come back to you about
this.

As GNOME plans to leave the archive up as read-only, that's sufficient.
But I am worried that on a few years that will be shut down and the
history lost. If that ever happens, we should try to archive the
history somewhere. Would it be possible to get a dump of the entire
archive?

Thomas