Re: automatic APN selection

Also, I'd like to emphasize that IMHO this should not be the default in NM. Automatically selecting what
APN to use should be explicitly enabled by the user somehow. Companies doing custom setups with MM+NM can
enable this feature, even providing a "controlled" subset of the mobile-broadband-providers-info database,
and that specific use case makes total sense.

Why so? I’d see such a thing as a lovely features, and you pretty much loose the benefit of it being
default if you have to find out you need to activate. On the other hand it would be so neat to put a sim
card in a computer that happens to have a free-software supported wwan card and get stuff just working!

I mean, it’s what most mobile phones do, right?

I believe there's always the fear of wrongly using the APN you're not
supposed to use and getting automatically charged money for that. I'm
not sure if this fear is based on known real usecases or it should
really be obsoleted by now, though, especially since all LTE devices
have "some sort of active connection" as soon as they're registered to
the network.

Otherwise, the worst thing that could happen if using a wrong APN is
that the modem doesn't connect with the automatic settings, which,
well, that shouldn't be a big issue. Users that require special APN
settings will anyway need to insert them manually.

I really have mixed feelings, so I've always suggested that automagic
APN setup to be optional. But hey, I may be totally wrong, this is
just my opinion :)

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es