Re: NetworkManager behavior answers not found in docs

On Fri, 2018-10-19 at 19:22 +0200, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:

Hi,

Usually, NetworkManager (the daemon) does not automatically
create
connection profiles

But when it does (as in your cases), is it always only in RAM
(unless
we
then save the profile to disk of course) ?

Yes. But when you modify this profile, it usually gets persisted to
disk.

I see in my tests that a profile modification is persisted even
before
the call to nmcli device reapply : am I right ?

Hm, `nmcli device reapply` does not modify the profile at all, does it?

What's the link between persistence, modification and reapplication
of a
profile ?

A profile may be backed by a file on disk or not. Accordingly, it is
persited or not.

Whenever you modify a profile, you can also say whether it should be
persited to disk or not. If the profile had a backing file on disk,
making it in-memory only may or may not involve deleting the file. On
the D-Bus API, it controlled via Update2 flags [1].

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/libnm/unstable/libnm-nm-dbus-interface.html#NMSettingsUpdate2Flags

nmcli gives you some control over that, like `nmcli connection add save
no ...` and `nmcli connection modify --temporary ...`.

Reapply doesn't seem to have any relevance with modification or
persistance.

Maybe NM created such an "auto-default" (named "Wired Connection
#"),
but then you deleted it? It wouldn't create it again, see file
/var/lib/NetworkManager/no-auto-default.state.

The MAC is indeed in there although I don't remember deleting an
auto
created profile

best,
Thomas