Re: MAC address randomization prevents connecting to some wifi AP

On Tue, 2017-05-09 at 12:21 +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Sun, 2017-05-07 at 16:18 +0200, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> writes:

From the logfile it's not clear why it would fail. There is also
no
<warn> message about NM being unable to change the MAC address --
which
I would expect to see when the driver cannot change the MAC
address.
But then it's unclear why you say "wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no"
fixes
the issue.

You'd have to enable level=TRACE logging , see
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/plai
n/
contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf?id=master

I enabled logging and now have a 3000+ lines file and I don't know
what
parts are relevant. It's too big for paste.bin so please find it
as a gzipped attachment.

Hi,

The logfile shows that you didn't disable MAC address randomization
during activation. Ok, that is helpful to see that NM is able to
change
the MAC address. So, if it's related to MAC address randomization,
it's
either a supplicant or a driver bug.

Just to follow up on this, Julien and I were also talking on linux-
wireless@.  He said:

"I have my wifi AP set to only accept a whitelist of MAC addresses so
it makes sense that I can't connect if the MAC address is random."

So yeah, he's MAC filtering, and randomization should be disabled.

Dan

-- note, your AP might be configured to filter by MAC address. But
since you configured cloned-mac-address=permanent, that doesn't seem
be problem either. "wifi.scan-rand-mac-address" only matters while
scanning. That should not matter while associating (where
"wifi.cloned-
mac-address" comes into play).

From the logfile it is not clear what the problem is. It doesn't seem
to be related to changing the MAC address (as the original email
claims). But even if that would be the case, it would be easy to rule
out by configuring NM not to ever change the MAC address. Since you
apparently tried to do that (without fixing your issue), it seems
that
MAC address randomization is the problem.

I would still suggest you disable MAC address randomization to rule
that out and dig more.

Look at the logfiles from supplicant
 ( https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/Debugging#Debugging
_WiFi_Connections ).