Re: MAC address randomization prevents connecting to some wifi AP

On Sat, 2017-05-06 at 23:19 +0200, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
After a recent upgrade of NetworkManager, I couldn't connect anymore
the wifi AP of my internet provider
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox#V6_generation.2C_Freebox_Revol
ution)
and to the hotspot from my Android phone.

The problem was fixed by setting:
[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
in NetworkManager.conf

But even with the previous fix, NM won't connect if I set
wifi.cloned-mac-address to "stable": it keeps asking for the password
over and over. It looks like the AP somehow "knows" that the MAC
address

Hi,

if setting "wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no" works around your issues,
then it seems like your driver has problems to change the MAC address.

When setting the per-connection value wifi.cloned-mac-address=stable,
still wants to change the MAC address to some generated value. So, if
there is some problem with MAC address changing, it is conceivable that
wifi.cloned-mac-address=stable hits a related issue.

From the logfile it's not clear why it would fail. There is also no
<warn> message about NM being unable to change the MAC address -- which
I would expect to see when the driver cannot change the MAC address.
But then it's unclear why you say "wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no" fixes
the issue.

You'd have to enable level=TRACE logging , see

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/plain/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf?id=master

Could be a supplicant bug, like
  http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/hostap/2017-April/037549.html

best,