Re: help needed to use a Sierra Wireless MC7354 3G modem with a Raspberry Pi3 running Angstrom v2016.12 - Kernel 4.4.35

Hey Phil,

I think the problem lies with NetworkManager:

root@raspberrypi3:/# nmcli con show

NAME                UUID                                  TYPE
DEVICE

Wired connection 1  bdc6b7b3-1e60-453c-bfca-11ce7519826d  802-3-ethernet
eth0

cellular            bd4fbd79-329c-4af2-a68d-a330df553abd  gsm             --

root@raspberrypi3:/#

cellular was created with:

nmcli connection add type gsm con-name cellular ifname wwan0 apn
mnet.bell.ca.ioe

But my wwan0 interface shows “unmanaged” and I cannot bring it up:

This is wrong; you shouldn't create a connection bound to ifname
wwan0. The "interface-name" connection property expected by
NetworkManager would be the control port of the modem as specified by
ModemManager. The data port, which is what you specified, is
transient, and is actually a decision of ModemManager which port to
use (your MC7354 may actually be configured with a pair of QMI+WWAN
interfaces instead of just one, and MM would tell you which one to
use).

I believe you can actually just ignore the "interface-name" and leave
it blank, creating a "gsm connection setting that may be used with any
modem"; e.g.:

$ nmcli connection add type "gsm" con-name "cellular" apn
"mnet.bell.ca.ioe" ifname ""

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es