Re: Running NM without systemd

On Tue, 2 May 2017 16:32:55 +0100 (BST)
Colin Helliwell <colin helliwell ln-systems com> wrote:

On 02 May 2017 at 16:23 Colin Helliwell
<colin helliwell ln-systems com> wrote:
On 02 May 2017 at 16:07 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 15:54 +0100, colin helliwell ln-systems com
wrote:

I'm hoping to use NetworkManager on a system which doesn't have
systemd . So
far I'm hitting a few dependency problems but, before I start
trying to wade
through them I wanted to check that what I'm trying to achieve
*is* possible

*   or is systemd essential for NM?

systemd should not be essential for NM. The various points of
systemd integration (suspend/resume, hostname, session-tracking,
journal, etc) should be either build-time or runtime selectable.

What ./configure or ./autogen arguments are you using? What
errors are you getting?

Dan

Thanks for confirming that, Dan. Gives me hope (if not
enthusiasm :S) for pushing on with the goal. As I say, I've only
made a very brief stab at it so far, building under Yocto. But the
first one I've hit is consolekit being missing [from the overall
Yocto image recipes]. Because this causes an an initial dependency
parsing error .....

Let me first work on paring down the Yocto recipe, then I'll have a
better feel for what is *actually* missing

We've got NM in Slackware and no systemd, so yeah, it should work :)

This might be useful:
http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/NetworkManager/

-RW