Re: Running NM without systemd

On 02 May 2017 at 16:23 Colin Helliwell <colin helliwell ln-systems com> wrote:

On 02 May 2017 at 16:07 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 15:54 +0100, colin helliwell ln-systems com
wrote:

I'm hoping to use NetworkManager on a system which doesn't have
systemd . So
far I'm hitting a few dependency problems but, before I start trying
to wade
through them I wanted to check that what I'm trying to achieve *is*
possible

*   or is systemd essential for NM?

systemd should not be essential for NM. The various points of systemd
integration (suspend/resume, hostname, session-tracking, journal, etc)
should be either build-time or runtime selectable.

What ./configure or ./autogen arguments are you using? What errors are
you getting?

Dan

Thanks for confirming that, Dan. Gives me hope (if not enthusiasm :S) for pushing on with the goal.
As I say, I've only made a very brief stab at it so far, building under Yocto. But the first one I've hit
is consolekit being missing [from the overall Yocto image recipes].
Because this causes an an initial dependency parsing error .....

Let me first work on paring down the Yocto recipe, then I'll have a better feel for what is *actually* missing