Re: Bonding wifi and wired

Hi.

I know it's been done before, but one caveat is that the wifi driver
and the supplicant have to correctly support setting the WiFi device's
MAC address since bonding requires they have the same one.  That's been
a problem in the past and required fixes to the supplicant and drivers.
 But yeah, I'm sure we'd take patches fixing anything on the NM side.

Hi Dan,

And what about if NM assume this to be done based on the WiFi's MAC? This
way we could use this feature despite the drive in use...

  Yeah, that's exactly what I do currently.

  Just to clarify: this whole idea works on 'stock' ubuntu's NM since
at least 14.04, and probably before that.

  I've setup my eth interface to clone MAC from my wifi. This way bond
interface gets MAC that is equal to wifi's MAC. Without this wifi (at
least one that I have) refuses properly authenticate on AP.
  On router side I had to enable wifi clients isolation and LAN bridge
hairpin so two bonded clients can properly talk to each other and
other AP clients.

  Things work in a sense that I can pull the plug out of laptop during
hangout call and not notice anything, and I can put it back in and see
traffic flowing on wire.
  But NM's clearly gets confused by this setu. But since it sounds
like NM's team would welcome patches I hope I will be able to address
some of those problems.

--
Martynov Nikolay.
Email: mar kolya gmail com