Re: NetworkManager dispatchers

Thanks Dan!
I removed the connections and restarted NM and did what you suggested and here is what I get now:
nmcli con add type gsm con-name ppp ifname ttyUSB2 apn internet.com
Connection 'ppp' (94e24340-490b-4f96-91bb-c5511a2a5f50) successfully added.

root/usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# nmcli con up ppp
Error: Connection activation failed: Active connection removed before it was initialized
root/usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# nmcli con up ppp
Error: Connection activation failed: Active connection could not be attached to the device

I wonder what that means...hmmm

Thanks a lot for your help!

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2016-03-03 at 13:58 -0800, Ali Nematollahi wrote:
> Okay so I was able to get MM 1.4.12 and NM 1.0.10 compiled and
> deployed on
> my unit, which I must admit wasn't easy. 0.9.4 was a lot easier, I
> had to
> do a whole lot of re-linking and stuff to get 1.0.10 set up and
> running.
> Good news is it is up and running!
>

> I got my 3g up and running and it's all good. Now trying to get NM to
> start
> a PPP on it but I'm hitting the wall again.
> I've read a lot of documents on setting up devices but none that go
> deep
> into setting up GSM and PPP, which is sad. Here is what I have done
> so far:
>
> - with NMCLI:
> nmcli con add type gsm con-name ppp ifname ppp0 apn internet.com
> Connection 'ppp' (af71d0c7-bbbd-4d4e-941e-a2581dc86a2e) successfully
> added.
>
> root/usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# nmcli con up
> ppp
> Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for
> this
> connection.
>
> some useful outputs:
> root/usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# nmcli con
> NAME   UUID                                  TYPE  DEVICE
> ppp    af71d0c7-bbbd-4d4e-941e-a2581dc86a2e  gsm   --
> radio  f6547503-d831-4cc2-bd3c-a958e645552a  gsm   --
> root/usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# nmcli dev
> DEVICE   TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION
> ttyUSB2  gsm       disconnected  --
> eth0     ethernet  unmanaged     --
> lo       loopback  unmanaged     --
> root/usr/local/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections# mmcli -L
>
> Found 1 modems:
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 [Cinterion] PHS8-USA
>

> I added another entry to the ppp connection and called it radio:
> cat radio
> [connection]
> id=radio
> uuid=f6547503-d831-4cc2-bd3c-a958e645552a
> type=gsm
> #interface-name=ppp0
> interface-name=wwan0

The interface part is likely your problem.  interface-name is the name
of the NetworkManager control port, which in your case would be ttyUSB2
(as reported by 'nmcli dev').  Data ports (like ppp0) are transient,
they come and go, so locking the connection profile to a specific
device needs to happen with the control interface name.

If you change that to ttyUSB2 or even just remove it entirely, what
happens?

Dan