Re: NetworkManager dispatchers

Thanks! I've looked at nmcli radio but there is no good documentation I could find for the version I am using. All of the documentation is for newer version and don't apply.

First of all, when I do:

nmcli nm wwan
WWAN
disabled

Then I do:
 nmcli nm wwan on
nmcli nm wwan
WWAN
disabled

nmcli nm status
RUNNING         STATE           WIFI-HARDWARE   WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
running         connected       enabled         enabled    enabled         disabled

I was reading on google somewhere that I need a config file in: /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
so I put one in:

cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/radio
[connection]
id=MyWwanConnection
type=gsm

[ipv4]
method=auto

[gsm]
number=*99#
apn=mnet.bell.ca.ioe

restarted NM, did the same thing, no difference.

Any documentation for 0.9.4.0 that I can use to figure this out? Can someone help me with setting up the radio connections? I'm having no luck.

Thanks

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 10:50 -0800, Ali Nematollahi wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> How to I enable "service called NetworkManager-dispatcher or
> nm-dispatcher"? When I search for "dispatcher" in my filesystem only
> these
> come up:
> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-dispatcher.conf
> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-
> services/org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher.service
> /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dispatcher.action
> /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch_dispatcher
>

> Starting MM as a service makes perfect sense.
> The question is however, how do I find out when to say "enable" the
> modem,
> or to do a simple-connect? I was planning on using the dispatchers
> for all
> of that, to automate all of those. So basically:

NetworkManager will take care of that, if 'wwan' radios are enabled.
 See 'nmcli radio'.  As long as 'nmcli radio' reports WWAN enabled, and
as long as your machine has no airplane switch for WWAN (or if it does
the switch enables the WWAN), NetworkManager will enable the modem when
it is discovered by ModemManager and it will be available to connect
with from NetworkManager.

Recent versions of NetworkManager (1.0.8+) also have support for WWAN
autoconnect, so I don't think you need a dispatcher script here at all.

> - MM starts
> - modem comes up, status -> Disabled
>    - dispatcher kicks in: status -> Enabled
> - dispatcher kicks in: simple-connect

Dispatcher scripts only trigger on connection up/down, so you don't get
any events on modem status changes.  But that shouldn't matter, since
NetworkManager can take care of all of the WWAN connection stuff as
long as ModemManager is up and running (like if its run as a system
service).

Dan