Re: howto keep always ipv4ll address

On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 18:22 +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 13:36 +0300, matti kaasinen wrote:

Hi!

Is there way to tell NM (v.0.9.8.10) not to drop ipv4ll address =
eth0:avahi interface.
I don't think that is possible.

To clarify, not possible on NM 0.9.8.  NM 0.9.10 and later make large
efforts to preserve configuration made outside NM.

It seems that this dropping happens immediately when dhcp lease is
gained. What harm it would do just preserving this interface alias?
When NetworkManager manages a device, it deletes other addresses on
that interface because it doesn't know why they are there.

On newer versions of NetworkManager, if you add an address (link-
local
or not), after NetworkManager activated the device, it would keep it.
But also there is a race involved, in that the address must not be
added before NetworkManager starts configuring the interface
initially.

This actually sounds like the RFEs we've had for a while to allow
multiple addressing schemes.  eg instead of "link-local only" allow
both "auto" and link-local in parallel.  Maybe?

But I think it could be handled with dispatcher scripts too that would
spawn avahi-autoipd --force-bind on the interface that has just been
upped by NM.