Re: Fwd: Having a hard time with NetworkManager on ArchLinux

Hello Thomas,

I executed your command and this is what I see.  This is the dump from the log that I have.
http://bin.cakephp.org/view/1928560781

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:
Hi Yves,

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 05:35 -0500, Yves S. Garret wrote:

> I've already enabled and started NM.  I see it with a state of
> "running" when I do systemctl.
>

> As for my comment of doing it manually, there is a little tutorial
> that was written for Arch Linux.  In it, you can either make the
> connection in a manual fashion or have an another tool it
> automatically for you.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup#Wireless_management

If you are using NetworkManager (or wicd, ConnMan, ...), you don't
manually use ip, dhclient, ... (unless you have a good reason to).

> When I start NM,

Usually, NetworkManager (the deamon) starts at boot time, as you enabled
it with systemctl. What you click on, is a GUI front-end, to tell
NetworkManger what to do. Probably it's nm-applet (Gnome3 and KDE
usually come with different ones).

> I go into the top right-hand location and click on the applet and
> select my network.  Sometimes I see a window asking for a passphrase
> -- which I enter and click Connect -- and then wait for some sort of
> response.  But, the only thing that happens is that the same window
> re-appears.  I know that the passphrase is correct (checked many
> times.)

You should check, that the WiFi connection you are trying to connect is
properly configured. You can right-click on the icon of nm-applet and do
"Edit connections".

If you cannot figure out whats wrong, it might be helpful to look at the
logfiles and provide more information

  journalctl -b 0 _SYSTEMD_UNIT=NetworkManager.service

> What I ultimately want NM to do is give me the ability to connect to
> various wireless connections (Library, Home, parents Home, etc.)
> without going through the manual setup (as described in the above
> link) of making such a connection.

Sure, that sounds doable :)

Thomas