Re: Possible GSOC project ideas

----- Original Message -----
From: "todd rme" <toddrme2178 gmail com>
http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-and-learn/wi-fi-direct

Thanks.

It is normally something built into the network card.  The wireless
chipset needs to have support for it.  As I said, it is already being
implemented in wpa supplicant.

From wikipedia:

Wi-Fi Direct, previously known as Wi-Fi P2P, is a standard that
allows Wi-Fi devices to connect to each other without the need for a
wireless access point.

Is it just that someone failed to realize there is ad-hoc wifi mode?

This allows Wi-Fi Direct devices to directly transfer
data between each other with greatly reduced setup. Wi-Fi Direct
works
by embedding a limited wireless access point into the devices, and
using Wi-Fi Protected Setup system to negotiate a link.

The only think I heard about WPS is that it is insecure. Sorry for that. Maybe I'm just commenting on
something I don't have enough information on.

Setup
generally consists of bringing two Wi-Fi Direct devices together and
then triggering a "pairing" between them, using a button on one of
the
devices, or systems such as NFC.

Android now supports it for sending video, and it looks like TVs
will
start implementing it for receiving video in the near future.
 People
have been working on this in wpa_supplicant, but I don't know its
status so this project may require some hacking there too.

3. Implement auto-detection of connection status.

This is already supported roughly in a way you are describing it
below.

It is?  I have tried connecting under these circumstances and nothing
remotely like this happened.