Re: Possible GSOC project ideas

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Pavel Simerda <psimerda redhat com> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "todd rme" <toddrme2178 gmail com>
2. Implement wifi-direct/p2p.  This allows two wireless devices to
connect directly to each other, securely sending files without going
over a WIFI network.

We have ad-hoc networking and you can use just any protocol over that. Where's the documentation for this
protocol, what's its purpose and why is it specific to wifi while other protocols work over any link?

http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-and-learn/wi-fi-direct

It is normally something built into the network card.  The wireless
chipset needs to have support for it.  As I said, it is already being
implemented in wpa supplicant.

From wikipedia:

Wi-Fi Direct, previously known as Wi-Fi P2P, is a standard that allows
Wi-Fi devices to connect to each other without the need for a wireless
access point. This allows Wi-Fi Direct devices to directly transfer
data between each other with greatly reduced setup. Wi-Fi Direct works
by embedding a limited wireless access point into the devices, and
using Wi-Fi Protected Setup system to negotiate a link. Setup
generally consists of bringing two Wi-Fi Direct devices together and
then triggering a "pairing" between them, using a button on one of the
devices, or systems such as NFC.

Android now supports it for sending video, and it looks like TVs will
start implementing it for receiving video in the near future.  People
have been working on this in wpa_supplicant, but I don't know its
status so this project may require some hacking there too.

3. Implement auto-detection of connection status.

This is already supported roughly in a way you are describing it below.

It is?  I have tried connecting under these circumstances and nothing
remotely like this happened.