Re: Disabling ip4 and IPV6 on F20RC1

* Pavel Simerda

But unfortunately we need to be a little bit careful about the theory
written down on paper and the actual needs. Linux has the long
history of allowing more than just blind following of what's written
down. And I'm not the only person who repeatedly proved that IPv6
standards are not yet mature and that some of the requirements and
suggestions don't lead to good network experience.

So it appears to be my view against the details written down in one
of the very RFCs and I'm indeed going to speak up my concerns with
the IETF as well (and the list of those is quite big).

The number of ways in which you can use Linux to violate published
standards are probably near-infinite. But just because you can, doesn't
mean you should.

While you are of course completely free to spend your time implementing
NetworkManager support for some link-local-free IPv6-ish protocol, and
to pursue IETF standardisation of this new protocol, I would find it sad
to see development effort being wasted in such a way when there are no
shortage of actually useful IPv6-related things to fix and/or implement
in NM; IPv6 support on mobile broadband, IPv6 support in applicable VPN
plugins, correct handling of RA lifetimes, and so on.

Tore