Re: Disabling ip4 and IPV6 on F20RC1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tore Anderson" <tore fud no>
To: "Pavel Simerda" <psimerda redhat com>
Cc: networkmanager-list gnome org
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:57:28 AM
Subject: Re: Disabling ip4 and IPV6 on F20RC1

* Pavel Simerda

there isn't any possibility to disable IPv6 link-local addresses. In
fact it's not properly supported even in the kernel.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/$DEVICE/disable_ipv6 works for me?

1) First of all it doesn't *specifically* disable kenrel link-local addresses allocation but performs some
magic to disable a couple of IPv6 features at once. This wouldn't be a problem in the original poster's case
as he wants to disable IPv6 anyway.

2) But setting disable_ipv6 doesn't really work as expected. See [1] and especially the note about
disable_ipv6 below the table. The truth is that this also wouldn't affect the original poster's use case
where the specific interface is (hopefully) expected to be always without IP addresses.

3) NetworkManager therefore cannot do the proper work (until kernel is fixed) and this specific case would be
better handled outside NM until then. Unfortunately, NM may actually write to 'disable_ipv6' in the future
(even though I would discourage it in favor of a proper kernel API) and this solution would thus not be
reliable.

Cheers,

Pavel

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Networking/Ideas/NetworkManagerMethods#All_possible_feature_combinations