Re: Two WLANs with the same SSID but different connection names

Den 25. sep. 2012 14:30, skrev Derek Atkins:
Alexander Karlstad <alexander karlstad be> writes:

So, if you have two networks with the same SSID and both use WPA/WPA2,
then NM will select the *last used* connection.  Because, for all NM
knows (and a lot of other wifi managers too) they are the same network
because they use the same SSID and same security type.  It's pretty bad
network planning to use the same SSID for actually different networks.
But this is not two different networks per se. The Eduroam-network is
used all over the world at different educational institutions. The
only difference here is that I have a user account at two different
colleges, and sometimes you just get basic access when using a
username/password from a different college. That's why I want to be
able to use the two separatley.

The workaround was disabling autoconnect for this network, but it
feels very much like a bug when I manually select which network I want
to connect to doesn't work. Even though DBUS tells me it's using the
right cridentials.

Maybe it's possible for someone else to test this?
Perhaps a better way of describing eduroam is not that there are two
networks per-se, but rather you have two sets of authentication
credentials that you want to use on the same network, and you want to be
able to choose which set of credentials to use for any particular
connection.

Still bad network planning, since the "roaming" identity could have been associated with the correct local privileges without the need for using the local credentials.

--
Marius