Re: review request: pavlix/build

> From: "Colin Walters" <walters verbum org>
> On Sat, 2012-10-27 at 19:39 -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just pushed an updated version of 'pavlix/build', rebased to the
> > current
> > master. It's still a singe patch:
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?h=pavlix/build&id=4dd911361871f8b8407f4f1c5deaf7422f4f76f8
>
> The commit message here says "what", but not *why*.  What's the
> motivation for making the change?

To make NetworkManager use its own directory namespace for its files like most of the
other daemons do. It seems pretty obvious to me but may not be as obvious for someone
else.

Actually, the 'dnsmasq' files are already namespaced by prefixing, which really is ugly.

> e.g. Look prettier in the filesystem?
> That's a valid motivation, but should be stated in the commit.

Prettier? Maybe, but that's not the primary motivation. I'm more or less just fixing
the big mess of spitting a bunch of files into a shared directory.

> Or your comment kind of implies it might be done to make it easier to
> write e.g. SELinux or AppArmor policy?

Ehm, not really, but might be a nice sideffect. It states that it may affect them, that
means it may e.g. break them if they are not modified properly.

> In that case, also worth stating explicitly.

What would you like to see there if we're just tidying up?

Pavel