Re: F16 NetworkManager icon showing connecting when connected

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 12:53 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 06:09 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 18:02:05 -0500
> > Robert Moskowitz <rgm htt-consult com> wrote:
> >
> >> Reboot go NM showing the 'proper' connect icon. Now we go through the
> >> suspend/resume cycle and see if it stays working right.
> > Well if not then post your experience here, I'm sure someone will
> > request the needed information to diagnose and fix it if it doesn't work
> > for you.
> >

> Well it is not working again. Or still.
>
> I was having connectivity problems last night in my room, so turned off
> the wireless and just used the room wired connection. Then this morning
> I had hall talks all morning and never connected. At noon (lunch) I
> again used wired. Now I turned on the wireless and at first it connected
> to the hotel's 'free' SSID and only showed the ...; I then switched to
> the IETF SSID and it still just shows the ..., but........
>
> When I click on the connect icon, it shows that it is connected to a
> network called 'Auto ietf' which I know is NOT an existing SSID here at
> the conference. Rather the SSID is just 'ietf'. So something else is
> going on here.

So there's two parts to this equation.  First, NetworkManager and what
it's doing.  Second, the UI applet and what it's showing.  To confirm
what NM is actually doing, you can use 'nmcli' and 'nm-tool'.  eg "nmcli
dev list iface wlan0" will dump everything interesting about wlan0 that
NM knows.  You can compare this output to the applet's output and find
out which thing is wrong.  Look for "APx.ACTIVE: yes" to see which AP NM
thinks you're connected to.

If the issue is actually NetworkManager, then /var/log/messages is your
friend here, so we can see where things are going wrong.

If the issue is actually the UI applet, be that gnome-shell's network
indicator or nm-applet or the KDE applet, then we have to persue the
problem there.