Re: [Modem Manager] [Patch] Adding LTE devices support to Modem Manager.

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 10:02 +0200, Marius Bjørnstad Kotsbak wrote:
> Den 07. juli 2011 06:28, skrev Dan Williams:
> > On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 00:16 +0000, Vikram Kumar wrote:
> >>   Dear Network Manager in Gnome.org,
> >>
> >> Please find patch for Modem Manager plugin version 0.4 to support LTE
> >> devices.
> >>
> >> List of attachments and explanation:
> >>
> >> 1) ModemManager.patch :  patch file generated using diff.
> >>
> >> 2) ModemManager.tar:   source file which has newly added files for
> >> plugin.
> > Thanks for sending; I'll review.  As noted it probably doesn't apply to
> > the MM_05 branch (or git master); we're also reworking the D-Bus API for
> > git master anyway to be more compatible with multi-mode devices.
> >

> Are there any official policy of what goes into the MM_xx branch and
> what into master? It seems quite random back-/forwardporting(/merging).
> Should new modules go into master?

Yes, new modules should go to master first.

At the moment I'd like to release 0.5 after taking a hard look at Guido
Gunther's USSD patchset.  So what's going into the 05 branch is pretty
conservative, low-risk changes.  These usually go into master first and
get backported to 05.

The LTE stuff is a different issue though since it's more invasive and
changes the D-Bus API.  I've proposed a new API that handles multi-mode
devices much more cleanly in the 'new' directory in git master but the
code for that still needs to be written.  For the time being we may just
use the Novatel-proposed patchset on the 0.5 branch (and master) while
reworking master to match the new proposed API.

> I want to build my Samsung modemmanager module on top of the general LTE
> part of this.

Yeah, still need to review the latest Novatel patchset.  I've seen
original versions and I wasn't too happy with the API duplication here,
but it's also not good to hold that up for a Grand Rewrite.  So my
current idea is that we merge some form of the Novatel LTE patchset into
0.5.x and git master, while playing with the new API.

Can you take a look at the new API proposal in new/ and see what you
think?  It's better suited to multi-mode devices and attempts to
abstract away the common bits for all technologies (GSM/UMTS, CDMA/EVDO,
and LTE).