Re: Basic questions [Was: How to monitor NM progress?]

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 15:58 +0200, Rafal Wojtczuk wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 02:50:46PM +0100, Marc Herbert wrote:
> > > So, the device is not managed if and only if the STATE field ==
> > > 'unavailable' ?
> >
> > I do not think so:
> >
> > LC_ALL=C nmcli dev
> > DEVICE     TYPE              STATE
> > eth1       802-3-ethernet    unmanaged
> > eth0       802-3-ethernet    unmanaged
> >
> > > [I am a bit embarassed to ask such basic questions, but I am unable
> > > to find a comprehensive NM documentation, and reading its sources is
> > > a bit resource consuming].
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings
>
> In this page, I do not see an answer to the following question: is it
> possible to tell nm-applet to _not_ display unmanaged interfaces at all ?
>
> Thanks for all the answers so far btw.

No, there is no option for that.  We specifically added that
functionality because many, many Ubuntu users were highly confused tha
their network devices were unknown to NetworkManager, because NM 0.6 did
hide them from the UI when they were unmanaged.  The mailing list would
get at least one "where's my network device?" mail from some Ubuntu user
every week, because of how the ifupdown plugin handles unmanaged
interfaces.

To make the situation clearer, and to show users /why/ their network
devices were not handled by NetworkManager, we made nm-applet show
unmanaged devices.  This alerts users to exactly why things don't
necessarily work out of the box on distros that unmanaged devices in
more common use-cases.